OkCupid (sometimes abbreviated as OKC) is an American-based, internationally operating online dating, friendship, and social networking website that features multiple-choice questions in order to match members. It is supported by advertisements and paying users who do not see ads. The site supports multiple modes of communication, including instant messages and emails. OkCupid was listed in Time magazine’s 2007 Top 10 dating websites.
OkCupid is the only dating app that knows you’re more substance than just a selfie-and it’s free! Download it today to make meaningful connections with real people.
Here’s a little secret: when most guys read a woman’s OkCupid profile, they skip over the personal essay and go straight for the photos. If you can get a girl to invest emotionally in your dating profile, you’re doing something right.
OkCupid self-summary examples | introduce yourself examples
Your self-summary is the first thing people see when they scroll through your profile. The tone of this section can vary from optimistic to sarcastic depending on what you want to communicate about yourself. Since I had no idea which tone would work best, I wrote two paragraphs for each section and tested them both.
Provide “bait” for the reader.
Often, men will see a profile they are attracted to, struggle with what to say, get frustrated, and consequently, skip to the next profile. They know they have to be interesting to get a response, but thinking of something interesting to say every single time they message a woman is very difficult. Providing bait for the reader is the solution.
Suppose you love camping. Writing in your profile that “I love camping in the summer,” doesn’t make it easy for the reader to strike up a conversation. However, if you write something interesting that urges them to text you then that is what is going to work for you.
- Hi, I’m [name]. I’m a [professional title] and I love my job.
- I am an active person who enjoys cycling and running best.
- when weather permits, I like going fishing or simply enjoying outdoor activities.
- I believe keeping fit is important. I take great pride in appearance and believe first impressions are important. I love to go out for dinner, movies and theater.
- I’m not sure if there’s a worst, but I suppose the worst that a person can do is to say, “Hey how are you doing?” and then leave it at that. I don’t think that helps anyone, right?
- I’ve never seen a profile with the headline “I am looking for a man who loves me.” It just doesn’t happen. So I guess that would be the worst.
- I’m just me – down to earth and easy-going. I am not a player or a liar or a cheat. I am genuine and honest, enjoy motorcycles and fishing, watching movies, and live bands. I’m looking for someone who is easygoing and likes to have fun!
- I like football, fishing, and driving (not at the same time!). I like watching sports on TV. I’m interested in going out for dinner, lunch, etc. I like having fun with my mates on weekends.
- I’m a pretty normal guy. I like to read and write and play video games on occasion. I also enjoy going for walks and swimming as well as running. I’m looking for a girl who is open-minded and likes to have a good time. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
- I’m not looking for anything serious at the moment – just having a good time. I’m looking for someone who wants to have fun with me without any serious commitments.
- The worst, of course, is when they write nothing at all. I mean, come on, just write something! Anything! That’s what makes me ME.
- The worst thing you can do is to say something like “I’m looking for my soul mate” or “I’m looking for true love” or “I’m looking for someone who’s into me.” They’re all going to be fake and look like they’re trying too hard.
- If you’re writing about yourself, don’t use the word “me” as your first word. Don’t even include it in your profile. Just say something about yourself and let them find out more about you later.
- Hi, I’m (name). My friends would probably describe me as goofy but somehow I always end up being the responsible one. I have a lot of hobbies to keep up with. At the moment I’m focused on softball and fishing. One helps me get out and be social and the other helps me get away from it all. If you don’t mind the pup or a little bit of a goof we could be a pretty good pair.
Here are some tips for writing an unbeatable self-summary for online dating- OkCupid.
Ask a friend for help.
I’m sure your friends who have used OkCupid or are using this dating app for a long time might help you. You may think you’re “funny” or “adventurous,” but that means nothing if your friends don’t agree. Ask one of your besties to help you write your profile – they’ll know how to put your best foot forward.
Don’t say you like hiking if you’ve never gone on a hike. Instead, mention a few of your favorite hiking spots or trails around town. Even better, include specifics: what trail did you hike? How far did you go? What was the weather like? What did you see and do? The more specific you can be, the more relatable and genuine you’ll appear to other users. Remember, you are using a dating app- OkCupid- and not writing a resume!
Don’t brag too much.
Yes, it’s important to talk yourself up and demonstrate what makes you unique. But bragging about having an advanced college degree or owning your own business is likely to scare off potential matches who aren’t looking for a person who is enough possessive about himself/herself.
There are more tips but these are the man ones. If you want to read more tips then do check my other blog where I have given all the tips and advice you are seeking.
The key points
It’s always important to give some thought to the message you’re sending when presenting yourself in a profile for a dating site.
Being unique and standing out from the crowd is really important, but in order to do that, you have to first understand what is generic, and what women are used to seeing.
I hate to end on a shallow note, but no matter how amazing the written portion of your profile is, if the pictures are not up to par, the majority of men will never even read it. This doesn’t mean you have to be above-average in the looks department.
All it means is you have to present yourself well. Make a calculated effort to post pictures that are both flattering to your particular look while also revealing the best aspects of your personality.
All the best